Monday, June 08, 2015

Green Smoothie Challenge - Week 1 Complete

I've completed the first week (7 days) of my June Green Smoothie Challenge. Now I'd like to impart some pieces of wisdom that I've learned from this first week of green smoothieness. 


I'm actually able to stick to something:

I've tried to do health, fitness or general life development goals in the past that I haven't completed or barely cared about, but this time it was different. I'm not sure what has made this time so different but it definitely feels different and that's awesome because it means I'm finally following through on a personal health challenge. 

It has been much easier than expected:

I had this notion going into this challenge that it would be so hard and that it would take so much work and disrupt my life in countless ways. The reality of the matter is actually so different than that; it has folded into my life naturally and lead to little disruption. Once again my expectations about a situation were incorrect and this time in a beneficial way. 

It's all about planning and sharing:

I realized early on in the challenge that I needed to plan ahead, not only when it comes to my grocery store trips but also my work and life schedule. For an example I went out of town this weekend to visit my sister and attend a wine and cheese festival and I made sure to give my sister the head ups about my challenge. In doing so it lead to a pleasant surprise: she was fully supportive and well stocked with kale, frozen fruit and almond milk. Awesome!

I haven't been perfect and that's ok:

I definitely had a day where I tried a new smoothie recipe and it didn't turn quite right. I tried really hard to choke it down but I probably only ate a quarter of the smoothie. I could've taken a negative look at this or made it an excuse to give up, but instead I composted the smoothie and scratched that recipe off my list and set out to find better recipes. 

Forgiveness of self is so important:

When making any significant life changes, no matter how big or small, forgiveness is a very important part of the process. Self-forgiveness is one of the most important parts of self-love and acceptance. I haven't set out on this health journey in order to berate myself, no I'm doing so as an act of self-love. 


This is a journey of self-discovery just as much as self-improvement and I'm having so much fun getting to know myself and my preferences better. Even though I've made some great and some not so great smoothies, I'm learning and doing and that's what life's all about, after all. 

I did discover one really great recipe that will now be added to my green smoothie repertoire and that I wish to share with you:

Berry Spinach Deliciousness:

Serves: 1
Time: 10-15 mins

1 cup baby spinach
1 cup almond milk 
1 tbsp flaxseed 
1 tsp chia seed (ground)
1 tbsp brown rice protein powder 
1 & 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries 
1/2 banana

Process the spinach, milk & additives. Once smooth add berries and banana and blend until palatable. Enjoy!


Have you ever done or are you doing a health challenge? If so let me know how it went and what you learned about yourself along the way.

Thanks for reading and as always here's to your uncommonly wealthy life! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment