Friday, June 19, 2015

What I'm Thinking about Today - The Past


After reading an article in the New York Times the other day about the small happy life and spending some time reminiscing with a friend, I find myself thinking about the difference between my mindset in my 20s versus now.

Now: 
As I come close to the completion of my first year as a 30 year old I find my mindset has shifted a great deal as compared to that of my 20-something self. 

Then: 
When I think back to some of the foolish childhood capers and misadventures I participated in it makes me chuckle and shake my head.

I smile to myself thinking about it now but I was once a bit of a rebel. I used to skirt authority just for the hell of it and many times this just ended up hurting me. 

Another memory that has caused me to smile to myself was the thought of the 'fun zone'. When I was younger I was witness to one after another of my friends and family members succumb to adulthood and inevitably leave the 'fun zone'. I swore to myself, and anyone else that would listen, that that would never be me, I would never leave the fun zone.

I also remember wanting to be rich and famous when I was young. I pictured myself partying with movie stars on yachts and flying around the world on private jets.

I spent the month of my 30th birthday galavanting across Europe with young people and I can say for a fact that travel did change me. This was the first trip of its type that I'd ever done and it lead to many eye-opening discoveries about myself and the world.

Nowish:
It makes me laugh to think that I was still thinking many of these things less than a year ago as I transitioned from a 20-something into a 30-something. It's striking how quickly my attitude has now changed.

I'll always cherish the memories of my childhood misadventures but I'm also glad those days are behind me. I still want to have fun adventures and great stories to tell but it'll be of a different kind. 

I still have that rebellious spirit in me, I'll never lose it, but the why and how of my rebellion has changed. I still have the need to do things differently albeit in more healthy and constructive ways. I still need to find my own path to things and I'll still pursue something just to prove the naysayers wrong but not at the expense of my health and sanity. 

I'm definitely out of the so-called 'fun zone' now, the one characterized by irresponsible decisions, sleepless nights and crazy boozing. Instead I find myself appreciating the small, quiet and happy life more and more everyday.

Now I feel myself grateful for my privacy and I find luxury in the everyday experience of having space and time for myself. I also appreciate the few quality friends and family that I do still have and I enjoy the occasional shindig with them.

When I returned from traveling in Europe I returned home with a new appreciation for home and the simple life. I came back from this trip with a renewed sense of life purpose and I was inspired by the things I did and saw. 

Right Now: 
When it's your birthday, people often ask: "do you feel any different now that your ___ age?" Usually the answer is a no but I can say for certain that this year I definitely feel different.

After all this reminiscing and thinking back to my Europe trip, I've realized what  I really want and value in life. Now I've come to some decisions about how to achieve my ideal simple and happy life. 

Decision Time:
I've decided that Im going to make this new city my home. 
Ive decided that I want the type of life that affords me the ability to travel the world on a regular basis. 
I've decided that I want a life that allows me to focus my health. 
I've decided I want a life that allows me the time and freedom to enjoy my loved-ones. 

Action Time: 
So now how am I going to go about achieving these life goals?!

Appreciate what I already have: a great job that pays well, has great benefits and amazing time off. 
Appreciation of my loved-ones and putting time & energy into nurturing those that are already in my life as well as pursuing making new connections.
Simplify and minimize my life as much as possible. 
Get my finances under control and live within my means. 
Continue to make my health a priority everyday. 
Continue to share myself and my gifts with the world in whatever ways possible. 




The ideal simple and happy life that I crave is a work in progress but I feel energized in the journey of living and working in a way that affords my uncommonly wealthy lifestyle. 

Updates and more posts to come about all of this, so stay tuned!  

What are you goals for your uncommonly wealthy life and what are you doing to get there? 

As always here's to your uncommonly wealthy life now and into the future! :)

2 comments:

  1. Well written. Many of those actions to achieve your goals will work with each other, and things will get accomplished. They are kind of like links in a chain. Glad you have been able to embrace your new surroundings; something I wasn't able to do in the past. Keep it up! PS: Thanks for the plug, I hope to revive my blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I have to remember that even the things that seem small and mundane are getting me closer to where I want to be.
      I also have to remind myself to enjoy the ride.
      And I think it's important to learn from our pasts without too much self-indulgence.
      Thanks again for the comment and I can't wait to read more of your blog, excited to see what's in store for the revamp! :)

      Delete